Monday 26 November 2007

Wicked!

It was my girlfriend's birthday this past weekend and it proved a great excuse to indulge just a bit. I took her along to a Belgian Chocolate Making course on Sunday which was great fun. They talk you through the history and the process of making the best tasting chocolate ever, they have a professional chocolateer make truffles, caramel and chocolate in front of you which you then decorate in by dunking in bowls of warm chocolate and toppings etc. Stuffing myself with chocolate at 10.30am on a Sunday morning did make me feel a little queasy to start with, but I soon got into the swing of things! I would definitely recommend it to anyone who has a sweet tooth (a must). The other event of the weekend was a trip to the relatively new musical Wicked.... and I absolutely loved it! I've seen a number of the old classics but this trumped or equalled them all. If you haven't heard anything about it, the story is The Wizard of Oz story, as told from the Witches side. It was highly amusing, the music was catchy and vibrant, the acting was generally of a very high standard and the set was impressive. They even managed to pop in a bit of social comment about the insidious human trait of gaining and retaining power over a society via the identification and persecution of a minority group. A packed theatre and standing ovation at the end (it was a matinee performance) said it all.

No comments: